Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Careful, wouldn't want to knock yourself out now, would you?

I found out something incredibly interesting yesterday.  It is possible to accidentally make your own chloroform.  Guess how I figured that one out???  Word of warning, when cleaning the grime off an old brass table lamp with acetone, should you find yourself in need of a little brush to get into the crevices, be certain that it is NOT the toothbrush you last dipped in bleach to clean the crevices in the bathroom sink.  Just sayin.

I got all woozy and loopy and then had a mother of a headache for the rest of the day.  Not fun.

Although it is fun to tell people you accidentally choloformed yourself and then watch their reactions.

I also learned a great way to get out really, really stubborn carpet stains. Spot Shot and a scrub brush (and no, again, NOT the bleach brush).  While the directions advise you to wait sixty-seconds for tough set in stains, they obviously do not have carpet in a house with four men, five if you include the cat.  I also disregard the advice to not saturate the carpet.  I soak the hell out of it, wait about 2 minutes and then attack with my hand-dandy scrub brush.  Nary a stain in sight, even those that may have been on the carpet a scary long time.

All this cleaning and prepping to sell the house has left very little time for crafting.  I will give you a quick glimpse though of some of what has been happening...
 My laundry room got a much needed cleaning & makeover.  See, we don't have a basement or a garage (just outbuildings) but we do have a HUGE laundry room.  Like 8 x 12 huge.  So I took one entire wall and Man-Caved it.  It turned out awesome!


I also cleaned out the boys game closet, which was affectionately referred to as The Cupboard Under The Stairs.  The allocation of games will begin shortly.  I cannot fathom we had so much junk wholesome family fun stuffed down there.  

 Speaking of "junk", Chumley (nee Luna) got his junk chopped off this week.  He is still a bit ginger, but he is recovering.




I did manage to get a bit into the harvest spirit.  One very inexpensive autumn wreath was made using nothing but a wicker woven wreath from the dollar store, 3 strands of dollar store wreath garland and 2 bunches of dollar store flowers.  No glue, no wire, no nothing else.  All that for just $6 and about 4 minutes of work.  Amazing.

 Oh, and Chum helped.
 And on a final purging note I am offering 20 xbox games for $100 or best offer.  You can see them all here (there are a few not in cases) as well as a memory card.  If you are interested, please let me know.

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Angela! Tough cleaning indeed. My wife always complains about cleaning in a house with three men. She'll probably go nuts if she was in your case. Instead of doing things herself, she usually contacts experts in carpet cleaning, Bucks County-based. Professionals in carpet cleaning (Montgomery and other places) can remove stubborn dirt that have accumulated in your flooring. They also use the appropriate products to avoid carpet discoloration.

By the way, I liked what you did with the laundry room. Very creative. Thanks for sharing!